What are Open Educational Resources (OER)?
“Open Educational Resources are teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use and repurposing by others. OER include full courses, course materials, modules, textbooks, streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or techniques used to support access to knowledge.” Hewlett Foundation.
Where can I find OER?
Search for over 5,600 FREE and OPEN access textbooks and over 80,000 open course materials.
|Find over 52 courses with recommended FREE and OPEN textbooks and CA higher ed faculty reviews from the UC, CSU, and CCC.|
The LibreTexts libraries are a multi-institutional collaborative venture to develop the next generation of open-access texts for STEM, Social Sciences, and the Humanities.
OER Commons is a public digital library of open educational resources. Explore, create, and collaborate with educators around the world to improve curriculum.
Search the collection of open textbooks for a peer-reviewedbook in your discipline. Hundreds of B.C. Faculty are learning how to customize open textbooks that also save their students money. See the Resources and Contact dropdown links above for help.
These books have been reviewed by faculty from a variety of colleges and universities to assess their quality, and they can be downloaded for no cost, or printed at low cost. All textbooks are either used at multiple higher education institutions; or affiliated with an institution, scholarly society, or professional organization.
|A faculty-curated list of open textbooks.|
Enter key words below to search the entire MERLOT library.
Enter the ISBN of a book below to find related FREE open textbooks in MERLOT.
Additional organizations providing open course materials:
- College Open Textbooks
- Creative Commons Search
- Lumen Learning
- Open Course Library at Open Washington
- Open Learning Initiative at Carnegie Mellon University
- Open Education Consortium
- OpenStax College
- Orange Grove Digital Repository
- PHET Interactive Simulations at University of Colorado, Boulder
- Khan Academy
Low Cost Enhanced and Interactive OER Solutions:
- CSU AL$ Interactive Open Textbooks, in partnership with Openstax and VitalSource Technologies. These open textbooks were created by Openstax and peer reviewed by faculty and meet standard scope and textbook sequencing requirements. To search for or learn more about CSU Interactive Textbooks you may create an account in VitalSource here once you have created an account you may search using the ISBN #'s below or by searching for CSU Interactive Openstax Textbook as keywords. CSU Interactive Textbooks are offered at a low cost.
- Lumen Learningcreates well-designed, interactive course materials that save time for faculty and improve learning for students. Supported courseware includes customizable textbooks, online homework, superb LMS integration, an awesome faculty support, all for just $25 per course. Continual improvements makes Lumen's OER courses simple to use and more effective at supporting learning. Visit Lumen's ready-to-adopt course catalog.
- Low Cost non-OER AL$ Partners.
Course materials’ licensing
OER is usually governed by Creative Commons licenses that enable users to download, customize or print these resources without expressed written consent of the author. In contrast, new commercial companies provide free access to their content online, while charging lower prices for print products and supplemental services including enhanced OERs with adaptive learning capabilities. Link to our copyright CC commons page.